Mold DamageFor some people, mold can be a serious problem. In reality, though, it does not have to be. Many just do not understand how and why mold become such a concern, especially for homeowners and other property owners. Molds exist almost everywhere. These fungi are actually an important part of the natural environment since they help break down organic matter. Mold contributes to decomposition. Therefore, they play a significant role outdoors. On the contrary, mold has no place indoors. Mold spores-the means by which molds reproduce—are often present in the indoor environment, as they are carried inside homes and buildings through the air.
Mold growth occurs when the spores land on moist surfaces. There are many different kinds of molds, and none of them can grow without water. When the spores find a moisture source, mold growth becomes inevitable. If moisture is not controlled and the mold growth is left to spread, there will be an extensive mold infestation.
The worst consequence of mold growth or mold infestation is poor health. The presence of mold in the indoor environment can compromise the health of those living there. Even short term exposure to molds can result in several allergy symptoms. These include coughing, sneezing, nasal congestion, skin irritation, red or watery eyes, nausea and headaches. People who are exposed to mold for a longer period of time can experience more severe symptoms, such as fever and breathing difficulties. Mold exposure has also been linked to serious health conditions such as lung disease and brain damage. Therefore, the indoor mold problem should be addressed immediately to maintain the health of the family.